The institutional framework for the cultivation of industrial cannabis was announced by the Ministry of Rural Development and Food. More characteristic elements of the new framework, decided jointly with the Ministry of Justice, are the tightening of sanctions and the obligatory observance of the necessary documents.
The possibilities provided by the new institutional framework:
- Import of seed and cultivation of varieties of cannabis not included in the Community catalog of varieties, only for use by the producers and not for the marketing of seeds.
- Growing in pots or in hydroponics systems in greenhouses.
- Planting of seeds for the purpose of transplanting seedlings and separating male - female plants before planting in the field.
- Notification of sowing date or planting date not earlier than three days after they were made.
- Licensing and start-up (only for varieties outside the Community list) throughout the year.
Both penalties and checks on the parcels in which varieties of hemp not listed in the Community list will be cultivated will become more stringent, and it will be compulsory for all producers to keep all sales notes of raw cannabis for three years after the sale or three years after harvesting, if processed by him.
B. Kokkalis: We support the entry of new crops into the primary sector
After the announcement of the framework, the Deputy Minister of Rural Development and Food, Vassilis Kokkalis, made statements stating that "the government actively supports the entry of new lucrative crops into the primary sector and in particular the pharmaceutical and industrial cannabis where Greece approaches a serious and responsible has become a pioneer and attractive to the serious, foreign investments needed for the productive redevelopment of the countryside. "
Insurance for producers and consumers
The Ministry of Rural Development and Food is expected to immediately demarcate areas with an average annual rainfall for which the water licensing requirement does not apply when the crop is licensed.
It will also enable the reproduction of reproductive material and the production of industrial cannabis clones and will, in cooperation with the relevant ministries, immediately conclude the institutional framework for the determination of the tetrahydrocannabinol limits in food and the institutional framework of the required safety requirements and controls for the smooth operation of processing cannabis plants.